Review: Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod and Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel - Reliable Fishing Gear for All Skill Levels
Published on Aug. 1, 2023, 7:34 p.m.
For anglers looking for durable and reliable fishing rods and reels without breaking the bank, the Ugly Stik Elite spinning rod and Okuma Ceymar spinning reel are an excellent combination. These moderately priced models offer performance and features typically found in more expensive gear.
Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod Overview
The Ugly Stik Elite series builds on the legendary toughness of the original Ugly Stik models while adding more graphite for reduced weight. The two-piece 6’6” medium power rod is easy to transport and handle. It has an extra fast action perfect for casting light lures and finesse techniques.
- Ugly Stik Elite Rod - 35% more graphite, lighter weight, premium cork handles, stainless steel guides
- Okuma Ceymar Reel - Corrosion resistant aluminum spool, multi-disc drag, instant anti-reverse
Durable Yet Sensitive Design
The Elite rod blanks contain 35% more graphite than Ugly Stik’s GX2 series while maintaining unmatched strength. The improved graphite and fiberglass construction produces a lighter, more sensitive rod. The Clear Tip design improves sensitivity while preserving the backbone Ugly Stik rods are known for.
The Elite series features premium cork handles and Ugly Tuff stainless steel guides. The one-piece guides eliminate insert pop-outs when fighting hard fighting fish. Seven guides plus the tip provide smooth line flow and durability.
Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel Overview
This lightweight reel matches nicely with the Ugly Stik Elite rod. The Ceymar C-30 model offers 5+1 ball bearings, an aluminum spool, and multi-disc drag system. The maximum drag pressure of 7 lbs provides just the right amount of stopping power for 6-14 lb test fishing line.
The Ceymar’s gear ratio of 5.0:1 gives an ideal blend of cranking power and line retrieval speed. The instant anti-reverse bearing allows for solid hooksets when a fish strikes. The machined aluminum spool is corrosion resistant and provides long term durability.
This reel features a sleek profile and EVA knobs for comfort. At just 6 ounces, the Ceymar feels light in your hands even after a full day of casting and retrieving. The sensitivity and smoothness rival more expensive reels.
- Freshwater lakes and rivers
- Bass, trout, panfish, walleye
- Variety of baits and lures from 1/4 oz to 5/8 oz
- “Caught over 50 fish on my first day using this combo without a single issue.”
- “Super smooth reel for the price. Love the cork handles on the Ugly Stik.”
- “Drag worked great fighting some 2-3 lb bass. No complaints.”
- Great value and performance for the price
- Lightweight yet durable construction
- Sensitive rod with sturdy backbone
- Reel handle could be longer for those with large hands
- Rod tip section is a bit softer than lower half
For freshwater fishing applications, the Ugly Stik Elite rod and Okuma Ceymar reel provide a well-balanced setup. The rod offers the backbone needed to handle feisty fish while the reel’s smooth performance prevents line twists and tangles. This durable kit will allow anglers of all skill levels to enjoy a day on the water.
Rod Length: 6’ 6”
Rod Power: Medium
Rod Action: Extra Fast
Reel Gear Ratio: 5.0:1
Reel Bearings: 5+1
Reel Max Drag: 7 lbs
Reel Weight: 6 oz
- 2 piece Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod
- Okuma Ceymar C-30 Spinning Reel
- Rod sock
- Reel oil
How to Use
Attach reel to rod and string with desired fishing line, up to 14 lb test. Adjust drag tension on reel and lure weight for conditions. Cast and steadily retrieve line to attract strikes. Set the hook promptly on bites and use the rod and reel’s smooth actions to land fish. Rinse gear after use and wipe down to prevent corrosion.